On June 11 and 12, 2018, the first meeting of the Statistical Coordination Group for the 2030 Agenda in Latin America and the Caribbean will be held in the Autonomous City of Buenos Aires, Argentina. The objective of this meeting is to move forward in the definition of a consensual version of a regional framework of SDG indicators based on the proposal presented by ECLAC at the Ninth Meeting of the Statistical Conference of the Americas, held in Aguascalientes, Mexico in November 2017 .
The review will be based on:
- The conclusions of the comments and regional prioritization made by the countries of the Coordination Group to the "Proposal to move towards a regional framework of indicators for monitoring the objectives of sustainable development in Latin America and the Caribbean" (LC / CEA .9 / 4) developed by ECLAC;
- The results of the diagnosis of national statistical capabilities for the production of global SDG indicators;
- The availability of statistical information in international databases;
- Other indicator frameworks defined as monitoring mechanisms for regional and international commitments that are complemented by the 2030 Agenda;
- Contributions on the emphasis suggested by the Agencies, Funds and Programs of the United Nations System in Latin America and the Caribbean according to their thematic specialties;
- The contributions of ECLAC as Technical Secretariat, and also as a regional organization of the United Nations specialized in the systemic approach to the dimensions of development in the region.
The meeting will be attended by representatives of the National Statistical Offices of the member countries of the Group: Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Grenada, Mexico, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Suriname and Trinidad and Tobago, and the Statistics Division of ECLAC in its role as Technical Secretariat of the Group. Representatives of the National Statistical Office of Chile and the statistical divisions of the regional offices of the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA), the United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund (UNICEF) and the UN-Women will also be present as observers of the Group.
It is hoped that the conclusions derived from this meeting will make it possible to define a revised version of the regional framework for SDG indicators to be presented at the XVII meeting of the Executive Committee of the SCA to be held in Santiago, Chile, at the beginning of October 2018.