Ministers of Women’s Affairs and high-level authorities from the region will participate on June 22-23 in the Special Meeting of the Presiding Officers of the Regional Conference on Women in Latin America and the Caribbean, where they will examine preparations for the XV Regional Conference on Women in Latin America and the Caribbean, to be held in Buenos Aires, Argentina on November 7-11 under the central theme of “The care society: horizon for a sustainable recovery with gender equality.” The Special Meeting will also serve as a space for celebrating the Regional Gender Agenda’s 45 years in existence.
The Regional Conference on Women in Latin America and the Caribbean is organized by the Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (ECLAC) in coordination with the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Woman (UN Women). It is the main intergovernmental forum on women’s rights and gender equality in the region.
At the Special Meeting of the Presiding Officers – where Chile currently serves as Chair – a commemorative session will take place to mark the 45th anniversary of the First Regional Conference on the Integration of Women in the Economic and Social Development of Latin America, held in Havana, Cuba in 1977, and of the Regional Gender Agenda.
The Regional Gender Agenda encompasses the commitments to women’s autonomy and rights that the region’s governments have approved at the Regional Conferences on Women in Latin America and the Caribbean, and it is also fueled by the capacity, strength and creativity of women in the region and of women’s and feminist organizations.
What: Special Meeting of the Presiding Officers of the Regional Conference on Women in Latin America and the Caribbean
- Ministers of Women’s Affairs and authorities from Mechanisms for Women’s Advancement in the countries of Latin America and the Caribbean
- High-level representatives of government, international organizations, academia and civil society
When: Wednesday, June 22 and Thursday, June 23, 2022.
Inaugurating the event (Wednesday, June 22, 9 a.m. local time in Chile, GMT -4):
- Raúl García-Buchaca, Deputy Executive Secretary for Management and Programme Analysis of ECLAC
- María-Noel Vaeza, Regional Director for the Americas and the Caribbean of UN Women
- Antonia Orellana, Minister of Women’s Affairs and Gender Equity of Chile, in her capacity as Chair of the Presiding Officers of the Regional Conference on Women in Latin America and the Caribbean
Where: Hybrid meeting (in-person and virtual)
ECLAC’s headquarters (Av. Dag Hammarskjöld 3477, Vitacura, Santiago, Chile).
Follow the meeting with these hashtags: