Launch of the e-learning course on Disaster-Related Statistics Framework (DRSF)
There is a high demand at the local, national, and international levels for high-quality, integrated statistics to inform all phases of the disaster risk management cycle. In response to the increased demands for disaster-related statistics, the UN Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP) developed the “Disaster related Statistics Framework” (DRSF). The framework was endorsed by the ESCAP Statistics Committee and is the focus of this e-learning course developed by the Statistical Institute for Asia and The Pacific (SIAP).
This event will provide an overview of the current state of play in disaster related statistics to all Latin American and Caribbean countries. Participants will also learn about the E-learning course on Disaster-Related Statistics Framework (DRSF). The aim of the course is build national capacities for the compilation of disaster-related statistics for enhancing disaster management and promoting risk- informed sustainable development in the countries and is available in English, Spanish and French languages. The course also aims to facilitate national monitoring and reporting on the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. It introduces concepts relevant to compiling disaster-related statistics.
OBJECTIVE OF THE EVENT
To provide new tools to support Latin American and Caribbean countries in building and improving capacities to address the growing needs for disaster and disaster risk reduction statistics that promote policy coherence in the implementation of the SDGs, the SAMOA Pathway, the Paris Agreement, and the Sendai Framework.
The target audience are officials in national statistical offices, line ministries and other institutions (including National Disaster Management Agencies) who are working on disaster related statistics. This event can also be useful to a wider audience who is interested to learn more about disaster related statistics.
The participants will be expected to be provide:
- Increased capacity of Latin American and the Caribbean States and particularly small island developing States (SIDS) to produce selected, relevant, and prioritized indicators and metrics to monitor disasters.
- Improve information to strengthen resilience to disasters in the Latin American and Caribbean region, systematizing technical documentation and tools to be used for in- country implementation.
- Improve the capacity of the countries to formulate, implement and monitor national disaster risk reduction policies using evidence-based data from statistics and indicators within the frameworks of the SDGs and the SIDS agenda, and simultaneously increase their ability to review and follow up on their implementation of these global mandates.
31 Oct 2022
Session 1: Inaugural session11:00 to 11:20
- Rikke Munk Hansen, ESCAP, y Copresidente del Grupo Interinstitucional y de Expertos sobre estadísticas relacionadas con desastres / Co-Chair, IAEG on Disaster-related StatisticsJennifer Guralnick, Oficina Regional para las Américas y el Caribe de las Naciones Unidas para Reducción de Riesgo de Desastres (UNDRR) / UNDRR, Regional Office for the Americas and the CaribbeanGeorgina Alcantar, División de Estadísticas de la CEPAL / ECLAC Statistics DivisionAlda Diaz, CEPAL / ECLACIntroducction
Session 2: Disaster-Related Statistics - Global review11:20 to 11:35
- Rikke Munk Hansen, IAEG-Disaster, United Nations ESCAPInter-Agency and Expert Group on Disaster-related Statistics
Session 3: Disaster-Related Statistics - Regional review11:35 to 12:05
- Georgina Alcantar, CEPAL/ECLACRegional Review: disaster-related statisticsGrupo de trabajo de la CEA sobre la medición y registro de indicadores relativos a la reducción del riesgo de desastresHerramientas para la producción de indicadores relacionados con desastres» Sesión de preguntas y respuestas / Q&A session
Session 4: E-learning course on Disaster-Related Statistics Framework (DRSF), available in the following languages: Spanish, English and French12:05 to 12:30
- Sokol Vako, United Nations Statistical Institute for Asia and the Pacific (SIAP)Launch of the e-learning course on Disaster-Related Statistics Framework (DRSF)» Sesión de preguntas y respuestas / Q&A sessionGeorgina Alcantar, División de Estadísticas de la CEPAL / ECLAC Statistics Division- Palabras de cierre / Closing remarks