Twenty-seventh session of the Caribbean Development and Cooperation Committee
The objectives of CDCC are:
- To promote and strengthen economic and social cooperation and integration among the countries of the Caribbean and with Latin America
- To promote the sharing of information and experiences among its membership
- To promote common positions and strategies on economic and social issues among Caribbean nations, and on their relations with third countries, and to present those positions to international forums and agencies
The member countries of CDCC are: Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Cuba, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Guyana, Haiti, Jamaica, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Suriname, and Trinidad and Tobago.
The associate members of CDCC are: Anguilla, Aruba, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Montserrat, Puerto Rico, Turks and Caicos Islands, and United States Virgin Islands.
CDCC comprises the following elements:
- The session of ministers
- The Monitoring Committee
- Such other subsidiary organs as may be established by the Session of Ministers.
Regular sessions of ministers are held every two years and are preceded by a meeting of the Monitoring Committee at the same venue. The sessions are convened on dates that facilitate the transmission of relevant reports and decisions to the biennial sessions of ECLAC. The regular meetings of the Monitoring Committee are held annually.
CDCC cooperates with other intergovernmental bodies in the Caribbean, including the Caribbean Development Bank (CDB), the Caribbean Community (CARICOM), the Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States (OECS) and the Association of Caribbean States (ACS).
- 09:30 to 10:15Opening of the session (agenda item 1)
- • Statement by Mark Brantley, Premier of Nevis and Minister of Foreign Affairs and Aviation, Saint Kitts and Nevis, outgoing Chair of the Caribbean Development and Cooperation Committee (CDCC) (tbc)• Statement by Allen Chastanet, Prime Minister and Minister for Finance, Economic Growth, Job Creation, External Affairs and the Public Service of Saint Lucia, incoming Chair of CDCC (tbc)• Introductory remarks and commemoration of the seventieth anniversary of the Economic Commission of Latin America and the Caribbean (ECLAC) by Alicia Bárcena, Executive Secretary of ECLAC (tbc)
- 10:15 to 10:45Group photograph and coffee break
- 10:45 to 11:00Election of officers, adoption of the agenda, procedural matters and organization of work
- 11:00 to 12:00A sustainable development outlook in the Caribbean (agenda item 2
- The Executive Secretary of ECLAC will present to the Committee perspectives on sustainable development in the Caribbean (tbc) (30 minutes)
- 12:00 to 13:00Promoting climate resilience and sustainable economic growth in the Caribbean (agenda item 3)
- The Committee will receive a summary presentation of the issues addressed during the fifth meeting of the Caribbean Development Roundtable (25 minutes)
- 13:00 to 14:15Lunch break
- 14:15 to 15:30Matters relating to the programme of work (agenda item 4)
- Diane Quarless, Chief of the ECLAC subregional headquarters for the Caribbean, will present the subregional activities undertaken in the Caribbean for the biennium 2016–2017 and introduce the programme of work for the biennium 2018–2019
- 15:30 to 15:45Second meeting of the Forum of the Countries of Latin America and the Caribbean on Sustainable Development (agenda item 5)
- The Committee will be briefed on preparations for the second meeting of the Forum of the Countries of Latin America and the Caribbean on Sustainable Development, which will be held on 16–20 April 2018 in Santiago (10 minutes).
- 15:45 to 16:00Thirty-seventh session of the Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (ECLAC) (agenda item 6)
- The Committee will be briefed on the substantive preparations and organization of work for the thirty-seventh session of ECLAC, which will be held on 7–11 May 2018 in Havana (10 minutes).
- 16:00 to 16:15Consideration and adoption of resolutions (agenda item 7)
- The Committee will consider the draft resolutions of its twenty-seventh session and adopt these as it deems appropriate (25 minutes).
- 16:15 to 16:45Other matters (agenda item 8)
- 16:45 to 17:15Coffee break
- 17:15 to 17:30Date and venue of the nineteenth meeting of the Monitoring Committee of the Caribbean Development and Cooperation Committee (CDCC) (agenda item 9)
- 17:30 to 18:00Closure of the session (agenda item 10)
- The rapporteur will present summary conclusions of the meeting. Closing remarks will then be made by Alicia Bárcena, Executive Secretary of ECLAC, and Allen Chastanet, Chair of CDCC (tbc).