Twenty-seventh session of the Caribbean Development and Cooperation Committee
The objectives of CDCC are:
- To promote and strengthen economic and social cooperation and integration among the countries of the Caribbean and with Latin America
- To promote the sharing of information and experiences among its membership
- To promote common positions and strategies on economic and social issues among Caribbean nations, and on their relations with third countries, and to present those positions to international forums and agencies
The member countries of CDCC are: Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Cuba, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Guyana, Haiti, Jamaica, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Suriname, and Trinidad and Tobago.
The associate members of CDCC are: Anguilla, Aruba, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Montserrat, Puerto Rico, Turks and Caicos Islands, and United States Virgin Islands.
CDCC comprises the following elements:
- The session of ministers
- The Monitoring Committee
- Such other subsidiary organs as may be established by the Session of Ministers.
Regular sessions of ministers are held every two years and are preceded by a meeting of the Monitoring Committee at the same venue. The sessions are convened on dates that facilitate the transmission of relevant reports and decisions to the biennial sessions of ECLAC. The regular meetings of the Monitoring Committee are held annually.
CDCC cooperates with other intergovernmental bodies in the Caribbean, including the Caribbean Development Bank (CDB), the Caribbean Community (CARICOM), the Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States (OECS) and the Association of Caribbean States (ACS).
- 09:00 to 09:45Opening of the session (agenda item 1)
- • Statement by the Honourable Mark Brantley, Premier of Nevis and Minister of Foreign Affairs and Aviation, Saint Kitts and Nevis, outgoing Chair of the Caribbean Development and Cooperation Committee (CDCC)• Statement by the Honourable Allen Chastanet, Prime Minister and Minister for Finance, Economic Growth, Job Creation, External Affairs and the Public Service of Saint Lucia, incoming Chair of the CDCC• Introductory remarks and commemoration of the seventieth anniversary of the Economic Commission of Latin America and the Caribbean (ECLAC) by Raúl Garcia Buchaca, Deputy Executive Secretary for Management and Programme Analysis, ECLAC
- 09:45 to 10:00Election of officers, adoption of the agenda, procedural matters and organization of work
- 10:00 to 10:30Group photograph and coffee break
- 10:30 to 11:15An outlook on sustainable development in the Caribbean (agenda item 2)
- • Dillon Alleyne, Deputy Director, ECLAC subregional headquarters for the Caribbean, will present to the Committee perspectives on sustainable development in the Caribbean (15 minutes)
- 11:15 to 12:00Promoting climate resilience and sustainable economic growth in the Caribbean (agenda item 3)
- • The Honourable Mark Brantley, Premier of Nevis and Minister of Foreign Affairs and Aviation, Saint Kitts and Nevis, will present to the Committee the issues addressed during the fifth meeting of the Caribbean Development Roundtable (15 minutes)
- 12:00 to 12:30Second Forum of the countries of Latin America and the Caribbean for Sustainable Development (agenda item 4)
- • Diane Quarless, Director of the ECLAC subregional headquarters for the Caribbean,will present a summary report on the outcome of the second Forum of the Countries of Latin America and the Caribbean for Sustainable Development, held 18-20 April 2018 in Santiago, Chile (10 minutes)
- 12:30 to 13:00Supporting implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals in synergy with the small island developing States development agenda (agenda item 5)
- • Ag. Deputy Permanent Secretary, Department of Sustainable Development in the Ministry of Sustainable Development, Energy, Science and Technology of Saint Lucia, Caroline Eugenewill present a proposal to strengthen the subregional mechanism to promote implementation of the small island developing States’ agenda, within the broader framework of support for the Sustainable Development Goals (10 minutes)
- 13:00 to 13:30Lunch break
- 14:15 to 15:40Matters relating to the programme of work (agenda item 6)
- • The Director of the ECLAC subregional headquarters for the Caribbean will present the subregional activities undertaken in the Caribbean for the biennium 2016–2017and introduce the programme of work for the biennium 2018–2019 and the draft programme of work for 2020. (40 mins)
- 15:40 to 15:50Thirty-seventh session of the Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (ECLAC) (agenda item 7)
- • Raúl Garcia Buchaca, Deputy Executive Secretary for Management and Programme Analysis, ECLACwill brief the Committee on the substantive preparations and organization of work for the thirty-seventh session of ECLAC, which will be held on 7–11 May 2018 in Havana (10 minutes).
- 15:50 to 16:15Consideration and adoption of resolutions (agenda item 8)
- The Committee will consider the draft resolutions of its twenty-seventh session and adopt these as it deems appropriate (25 minutes).
- 16:15 to 16:45Other matters (agenda item 9)
- 16:45 to 17:15Coffee break
- 17:15 to 17:20Date and venue of the nineteenth meeting of the Monitoring Committee of the Caribbean Development and Cooperation Committee (CDCC) (agenda item 10)
- 17:20 to 18:00Closure of the session (agenda item 11)
- • The Rapporteur will present summary conclusions of the meeting. Closing remarks will then be made by Raúl Garcia Buchaca, Deputy Executive Secretary for Management and Programme Analysis, ECLAC, and Allen Chastanet, Chair of the CDCC.