- Virtual meeting for Latin American countries (in Spanish): 11 a.m. Santiago (Chile) time.
- Virtual meeting for Caribbean countries (in English): 4:30 p.m. Santiago (Chile) time.
Briefing of Ministers and High-Level Authorities of Machineries for the Advancement of Women in Latin America and the Caribbean: The response to the COVID-19 pandemic crisis from a gender perspective
1. Analyse the different economic and social scenarios of the current crisis and its differentiated impacts on women in the short, medium and long terms.
2. Share information on the main initiatives that the governments of the region are carrying forward, with special consideration for the needs of women and gender inequalities in the framework of the current crisis.
3. Analyse the available data on a possible increase in violence against women and femicide/feminicide, and discuss prevention and response measures in relation to COVID-19.
4. Promote regional, subregional and bilateral cooperation initiatives that support a coordinated response to the coronavirus crisis, by incorporating lessons learned from the region and other parts of the world.
8 Apr 2020
Welcome remarks11:00 to 11:15
- Alicia Bárcena, Executive Secretary of the Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (ECLAC)
- María-Noel Vaeza, Regional Director for the Americas and the Caribbean of the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women (UN-Women)
- Carolina Cuevas, Minister of Women’s Affairs and Gender Equity of Chile, in her capacity as Chair of the Presiding Officers of the Regional Conference on Women in Latin America and the Caribbean
Initial presentations11:15 to 11:30
Economic and social scenarios of the current crisis, differentiated impacts on women, available data on violence against women and girls, and mapping of government initiatives to address gender dimensions in responses to the pandemic
- Alicia BárcenaAmérica Latina y el Caribe ante la pandemia del COVID-19 Efectos económicos y sociales eimpacto en la vida de las mujeresAlicia BárcenaLatin America and the Caribbean and the COVID-19 pandemic: Economic and social effects andthe impact on women’s livesMaría Noel VaezaGénero y el COVID-19 en América Latina y el Caribe: Dimensiones de género en la respuestaMaría Noel VaezaGender and COVID-19 in Latin America and the Caribbean: Integrating gender into the response framework
Statements by the countries11:30 to 12:30
Main initiatives and implementation challenges, and areas of collaboration among governments in the region to address the crisis
Closing and agreements of the meeting12:30 to 13:00