Diane Quarless assumed responsibilities as Chief of the ECLAC subregional headquarters for the Caribbean on 2 November 2011.
DIRECTOR'S TAKE ON...
The Director's views and thoughts on the occasion of international observances, #DirectorsTake:
- International Women's Day 2017
- International Day of Women and Girls in Science
- Human Rights Day
- International Day of Persons with Disabilities
- International Day for the Elimination of Violence aganinst Women
- World Diabetes Day
- International Day for Disaster Reduction
- International Day of Older Persons
- World Maritime Day
- International Day of the World's Indigenous People
- World Day against Trafficking in Persons
- International Day of Friendship
- Nelson Mandela International Day
- World Elder Abuse Awareness Day
- World Environment Day
- World Day of Social Justice
- International Women's Day
- World Water Day
INTERVIEWS WITH THE DIRECTOR
- ECLAC side event at COP21 to advocate Caribbean debt relief
- Opportunities for collective action towards the full implementation of access rights to information, public participation and justice in environmental matters [video]
- Opening remarks during the Caribbean Symposium on Mainstreaming the SDGs in National Development Planning - 14 February 2017
- Opening remarks during the LEARN Caribbean Workshop - 24 November 2016
- Opening remarks during the training course: “Planning for Disaster Risk Management & Disaster Assessment Methodology in the context of the 2030 Development Agenda and the attainment of the Sustainable Development Goals” - 24 January 2017
- Caribbean economies
- ICT for people with disabilities
- Sustainable energy for all in the Caribbean
- Monitoring the SDGs in the Caribbean
- Water Resource Management, Climate Change and Sustainable Development in the Caribbean
- A new era in Caribbean telecommunications
- Ageing in the Caribbean and the rights of older persons
- Economic performance and policies in the Caribbean
- Trade relations
- Transitioning From the Millennium Development Goals to Sustainable Development Goals
- Beijing Platform for Action at Twenty
Diane Quarless assumed responsibilities as Chief of the ECLAC subregional headquarters for the Caribbean on 2 November 2011. She previously served for six years as Chief of the Small Island Developing States Unit, and also as Head of Partnerships for Sustainable Development in the Department of Economic and Social Affairs of the United Nations.
She began her career as a diplomat in the Foreign Service of the Government of Jamaica, serving as policy analyst, adviser and practitioner in development management. She was twice assigned to the Permanent Mission of Jamaica to the United Nations in New York, more recently as Deputy Permanent Representative from 1998 to 2002, when she actively participated in advancing the broader strategic interests of the Caribbean Community (CARICOM), the Alliance of Small Island Developing States (AOSIS) and the G77 developing countries. She was elected a Vice Chair and Rapporteur on the Bureau of the Preparatory Committee for the World Summit on Sustainable Development in 2002.
She has in-depth knowledge of the development challenges facing the Caribbean, and experience in the management and oversight of capacity building programmes for the Caribbean and the wider group of Small Island Developing States. She has wide knowledge of the United Nations system, and a strong network of inter-agency partners. Trained in international relations, she also holds a Masters’ degree in Development Studies with specialization in Environmental Management.