CONDITIONS GOVERNING THE AD HOC INTERNSHIP PROGRAMME AT ECLAC - SANTIAGO
The internship programme at the Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (ECLAC) of the United
Nations at Santiago is aimed at granting ad hoc internships to graduate students who have specialized in a field related to the
work of this Commission. These internships are intended to promote among the participants a better understanding of
international problems and give an insight into the work of ECLAC and also to provide departments with the assistance of
outstanding young students specializing in a field related to their own work.
The conditions which govern this ad hoc internship programme are the following:
1. The period of internship will be granted up to a maximum of six months.
2. Participants are selected from among applicants strongly supported by their Universities or Academic Institutions who will submit a formal request for the internship.
3. Interns are not paid. Acquisition of necessary visas, travel costs, travel arrangements and living accommodations are of the responsibility of the interns or their sponsoring institutions.
4. Interns are not considered in any respect as officials or staff members of ECLAC. On the other hand, they are expected to work full time like regular staff members and to carry out the duties assigned to them. They are bound by the same duties and obligations as regular staff members; they must, in particular, keep confidential any and all unpublished information made known during the course of internship and not publish any reports or papers on the basis of information obtained except with the authorization of ECLAC.
5. ECLAC accepts no responsibility for costs arising from accidents and/or illness incurred during an internship and the intern therefore has to have a health insurance coverage.
6. Interns must provide notice in case of illness or other unavoidable circumstances which might prevent him or her from completing the internship.
7. The granting of an internship does not imply any commitment of future employment on the part of ECLAC. Interns cannot apply for a regular position nor have any type of appointment or contract while carrying out the internship except after six months immediately following the expiration date of the internship.
8. ECLAC reserves the right to terminate the internship at any time and for any reasons that the Executive Secretary may deem advisable from the Commission's point of view, giving in any case, one week's notice to the Intern.